- Completion of an approved teacher education program in school administration and a signed Institutional Recommendation by the program’s dean
- If applying for the Superintendent endorsement, you must complete an approved Superintendency program from a regionally accredited institution, and include a singed Institutional Recommendation by the program’s dean
- Master’s degree or higher from a regionally credited college or university
- Six recency semester hours of credit during the five years preceding the application
- Three semester hours of approved Alaska Studies
- Three semester hours of approved Multicultural Studies
The Type B Administrative Certificate does not require additional examinations to be passed beyond the Praxis I and II, which you have already passed to obtain Alaska teacher certification.
To qualify for the Type B Administrative Certificate, you need verification of three years of full-time certified teaching experience. If you are applying for the extra Superintendent endorsement, you must have five years of full-time certified teaching experience, and one year of full-time certified experience as an administrator.
Document and Application Requirements
Submit a completed, signed and notarized application for Type B Initial Administrative Certification to the Alaska EED along with:
- Application fees
- Fingerprint card
- Official transcripts
- Verification of experience
- Institutional recommendation
Mail the above information to Department of Education & Early Development, Teacher Education and Certification, 801 West 10th Street, Suite 200, PO Box 110500 Juneau, AK 99811-0500
Criminal History Background Check
All Alaska school administrators must undergo a criminal history background check. You must submit one FBI Fingerprint Card with your Type B Administrative Certificate application. Contact Teacher Certification at EED at email@example.com if you need to have one mailed to you.
Any questions about Alaska administrative or superintendent preparation programs can be directed to the college or university housing the program.
Further questions about the process for Alaska Type B Administrative Certification may be directed to the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development Teacher Education & Certification at (907) 465-2831, or by visiting the EED website.