Delaware Teacher Certification Renewal


Learn how to renew a Professional Educator Certification or reinstate a Professional Educator Certification in Delaware


Teaching Certification Renewal

Once you hold your Initial License to teach in Delaware, you will also receive your Standard Certificate(s) after passing the appropriate Praxis II tests and completing 15 professional development credit hours in each area of certification. The initial license with a standard certification is valid for three years. During this time, you must complete an in-house mentoring program, focusing on best practices in curriculum, instruction and assessment aligned with national standards and standards maintained by the Delaware Department of Education. Mentoring activities must be reported by you and by your mentor on the forms listed here.

After three years of teaching experience and completing an approved mentoring program while working as a teacher, you are eligible for a Continuing License. This license is valid for five years. To renew your Continuing License, you must complete 90 clock hours of professional development during that five-year period. Half of these hours must relate directly to your work with students or staff. Document this activity on the Activity Documentation Form and submit it at the time of license renewal. Options for professional development may be found here (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Standard Certificates are always valid and not subject to renewal. If at any time during the period of your teacher’s license you wish to apply for certification in an additional endorsement area, you must provide documentation of passing the necessary Praxis II examinations and completing 15 professional development credit hours in that area. You may apply for additional certificates online.

usc teaching


Reinstatement of Certification

If your Delaware teaching license expired less than five years ago, it may be possible to get it reinstated. You must show completion of 90 clock hours of professional development during the past five years. Additionally, if you have not worked under that license, you must complete a mentoring program within your first year of re-employment. If your license expired more than five years ago, you must re-apply for an Initial License and meet all the current requirements for initial licensure.

Info to Explore

Terminology and Specifics

Recent News

Combating Substance Abuse in Schools

Posted on 17 January 2019 | 11:15 am

In recent years there have been significant increases in alcohol, drug and substance abuse across the country. This abuse has significantly impacted K-12 school-age students as well as those ...

Federal Employees: How to manage your student loans during the government shutdown

Posted on 11 January 2019 | 1:13 pm

Are you a federal employee impacted by the partial government shutdown? Here are some options to manage your student loans while you are furloughed or not receiving pay. 1. Postpone Your Payments ...

Time to Play and Learn: The 2019 ED Games Expo at the Kennedy Center

Posted on 3 January 2019 | 12:43 pm

Game-based learning is gaining popularity in education as more young people and adults learn from games both in and out of the classroom. Well-designed games motivate students to actively engage ...