Alternative Certification Requirements
Expedite this process -- Click Here to learn more about USC's online Masters and PhD programs.
In order to be admitted into a TAPP, you must hold at least a bachelor’s degree from an approved/accredited college or university, in any field. If you wish to pursue certification in certain fields, additional educational requirements apply:
- If you’ll be pursuing certification in Middle Grades science, math, reading, language arts, and social science you must have a bachelor's degree or higher with a major in a concentration specific to your field or a transcript assessment that confirms you’ve successfully completed 15 semester hours of course work specific to your teaching field. Alternatively, you may meet examination requirements as explained below.
- If you’ll be pursuing certification in Secondary math, science, English, any areas of Social Studies, a foreign language, or fine arts (art, music, band or chorus), you must have a bachelor's degree or higher with a major specific to your teaching field or a transcript assessment that confirms you’ve successfully completed 21 semester hours specific to your teaching field. Alternatively, you may meet examination requirements as explained below.
Once you are in the TAPP, you will have an Individualized Induction Plan (IIP) drawn up with a mentor teacher, determining areas in which you need further education and/or experience. This includes meeting coursework requirements to meet the Georgia Special Requirements in special education.
Prior to admission into a TAPP, you must pass the GACE Basic Skills examinations (or equivalent examinations). If you wish to pursue certification in certain fields, additional assessments must be passed:
- If you’ll be pursuing certification in Early Childhood Education or Special Education, you must have a passing score on the corresponding GACE Content Assessment
- If you’ll be pursuing certification in Middle Grades math, science, reading, Language Arts, and Social Science, you must receive a passing score on the appropriate GACE Content Assessment if you did not complete the additional education requirements described above.
- If you’ll be pursuing certification in Secondary English, math, science, any area of Social Studies, a foreign language, or Fine Arts (art, music, band or chorus), you must pass the appropriate GACE Content Assessment if you did not meet the additional education requirements above.
Prior to enrollment in TAPP, you must attain a job at a participating Georgia school system. Here, you will be given teaching responsibilities that meet with your qualifications, and which you will perform under a Non-Renewable Certificate.
During the TAPP program, you must have a minimum of one year of mentoring/coaching internship/induction experience, which occurs while you are working under your Non-Renewable Certificate as a teacher of record. A second or third year is possible during the TAPP program, as needed or recommended by your mentor. Once you have completed the TAPP program, you will be issued a Clear Renewable Certificate.
Criminal History Background Check
The school for which you plan to work will conduct a criminal history background check prior to employment. Depending upon your school’s policies, this may be an FBI/fingerprinting background check or a Georgia criminal history check. Information on how to fulfill this requirement will be provided to you by the school system. Usually your employing school system will pay all costs associated with this background check.
For more information on the TAPP program, contact a participating Georgia school system provider.