Kansas Substitute Teaching License


The Kansas State Department of Education issues Initial Substitute Licenses or Emergency Substitute Licenses to all first-time applicants for substitute teaching who have never held a Kansas teaching license and who meet the following requirements.


Education Requirements

To receive an Initial Substitute License, you must have completed a Kansas or out-of-state approved teacher preparation program and have at least a bachelor’s degree. Official transcripts and verification from your institution’s licensing officer must be sent with your application. Find teacher preparation programs here.

Want to learn how to earn a professional teaching certification? Contact schools offering teaching certification programs in Kansas.

If you have completed at least 60 college credits, you may be eligible for an Emergency Substitute License.



No experience (beyond the student teaching that is required in all teacher preparation programs) is necessary to obtain an Initial Substitute License or Emergency Substitute License.


Criminal History Background Check

As an applicant for Initial Substitute and Emergency Substitute Licensing, you must undergo a criminal history background check as part of the application process. Fill out the fingerprint card, which will be provided to you by your college’s licensure officer or may be ordered online via this link. Take it to your local police station, where your fingerprints will be taken and where you will sign the card in the presence of a law enforcement officer. You must mail the card along with a check for the necessary fees to the Kansas State Department of Education, Teacher Education and Licensure, 120 SE 10th Avenue, Topeka, Kansas 66612-1182.


Additional Information

If you have an Initial Substitute Teaching license, you may not work for more than 90 days in any one teaching assignment. Those who possess an Emergency Substitute Teaching license may not work for more than 30 days in one teaching assignment.

document application requirements

Applications and Deadlines

Mail the Application for Substitute Teaching License along with necessary fees and supporting documentation to the Kansas State Department of Education, Teacher Education and Licensure, 120 SE 10th Avenue, Topeka, Kansas 66612-1182. Once you receive your substitute license, it may be renewed after five years if during that time you have completed 50 professional development points and submitted the renewal application.


Contact Information

For more information on Kansas substitute teaching licenses, visit this link or contact the Kansas State Department of Education at 785-291-3678.

Info to Explore

Terminology and Specifics

Recent News

#RethinkSchool: Rural District Embraces the 3 E’s to Advance Student-centered Vision

Posted on 12 July 2018 | 7:51 am

Superintendent Kirk Koennecke smiles as he recounts how his rural school district’s connection with the Lean Six Sigma business process began, as a way to offer new learning options and provide ...

Student Chefs Are Cooking Up Change at ED

Posted on 10 July 2018 | 1:02 pm

Recently, student chefs from six cities across the country were at the Department of Education to participate in the Cooking up Change National Finals. These talented students earned their way by ...

Overcoming Homelessness and Poverty through Education

Posted on 2 July 2018 | 1:29 pm

[Note: The U.S. Department of Education’s Youth Engagement Team was pleased to host students affected by homelessness and their peer leaders from SchoolHouse Connection for a listening session ...