- You must hold a valid classroom teaching certificate
- You must have at least two years of classroom teaching experience
- You must hold (at minimum) a valid principal’s certificate
Document and Application Requirements
Use the Educator Certification Online System
to apply for administrator certification in Texas. Make sure to send the following information to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) Office of Educator Certification:
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, showing your receipt of a master’s degree (at minimum) and completion of the appropriate administrator preparation program
- Institutional recommendation from your administrator preparation program
- Exam score reports
- Application fees
Mail the above information to the Texas Education Agency, Office of Educator Certification, William B. Travis Building, 1701 N. Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas, 78701.
Criminal History Background Check
Although you have already worked in the Texas educational system, you may be asked to undergo another criminal history background check, including fingerprinting. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) conducts the check, and you must pay all fees incurred.
The Texas Department of Public Safety offers electronic capture and submission of fingerprints through live scan technology via their Fingerprint Applicant Service of Texas (FAST). For more information, contact the Texas Department of Public Safety Crime Records Service at 512- 424-2478.
For more information on administrator preparation programs in Texas, contact the colleges and universities offering them.
For further information on administrator certification in Texas, contact the Office of Educator Certification at 512-936-8400.